среда, 29 мая 2013 г.

Way to wrap up all your reading challenges! I ve not read Greene before and I d like to especially a


Travels with my Aunt is my third and final installment for the Graham Greene Reading Challenge hosted by Carrie of Books and Movies . My previous two titles are The Quiet American  (1955) and The End of the Affair (1951).
A conservative, retired bank manager Henry Pulling found a new relative at his mother s funeral, louisville ky hotel his Aunt Augusta. She is everything he is not, an eccentric and liberal seventy-five-year-old sets to open a whole new world for his nephew. Upon Aunt Augusta s insistence, Henry accompanies her travelling in Europe. In the process, she widens his contacts with some shady characters, opens his eyes to an underground world he has never imagined, leaves his trails with police investigations, and overturns his carefully guarded self into disarray.
The humor in Travels with my Aunt reminds me of Oscar Wilde s The Importance of Being Earnest louisville ky hotel , and makes me think that, if it were written as a play, probably it would have been more effective and enjoyable.
I mean, considering it takes Greene only 180 pages to tell the complex story of The Quiet American, and 160 pages to depict the deeply conflicting The End of the Affair , why would he need 254 pages to jot down some travel notes. That s right, he narrates in details and often digresses to leave us with some clever one-liners along the way. But, if he had picked up the pace a bit, and tightened up like the two previous books I read, I would have appreciated it much more. Okay, it s selfish wishful thinking on my part, me being a very slow and easily diverted reader.
And earlier in November, I d finished The Ireland Reading Challenge 2012 also hosted by Carrie at Books and Movies. I aimed at the Shamrock Level and read four books of at least three different genres. Here are my selections and links to my reviews:
Graham Greene is my favorite writer of all time. I ve read just about everything of his including his travel books and some biographies. Travels with My Aunt is one of his lesser works. My favorite is The Power and the Glory, louisville ky hotel which I recommend to anyone serious about Greene and literature. The other two you mention are classics as well.
Yes, Graham Greene is a master storyteller. Those who love books and films would appreciate how wonderful a screen/writer he is. And no surprise The Third Man is one of your favorites (I remember ), for that s written by Greene too. A click on IMDb will find there are 69 titles under his filmography. Just amazing. I know the GG Challenge is only the beginning of my exploration of his works. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.
Thanks for the links. I can see you re a devoted Greenland resident indeed. I ve seen a few of his films actually the links I have in my post of The Quiet American and The End of the Affair lead to my review louisville ky hotel of both books and films. I ve also bought Brighton Rock in the same Penguin Edition, but couldn t get that going. Just too many books, too little time.
Way to wrap up all your reading challenges! I ve not read Greene before and I d like to especially after your various louisville ky hotel posts about him. Those Penguins are so lovely they make it a very tempting prospect.
I have several Graham Greene on the shelves. I saw The Quiet American as a film and it upset me no end – I think I already told you in a former comment that it made me cry when I realized that the conflict louisville ky hotel in South East Asia had taken longer than it should have because of the colonial ambitions of America there. Western ideology does not work everywhere. Travels with my Aunt sounds like it is an easier read – I mean, lighter.
Was this a movie with Maggie Smith? Sure rings a bell. It sounds a little more fun than some of Greene s other work. I m into fun these days! Still, judging from the comments, maybe it s far from the best!
Yes, 1972 movie with Maggie Smith as Aunt Augusta. I haven t seen it, but can imagine MS s expressions. She gets nominated for her role in Downton Abbey and Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Wish her the best in this Awards Season.
Gorgeous Penguin editions! louisville ky hotel I often wonder what this one is like of Greene s, not least because I own a copy I will bear it in mind for when I want something frivolous. And congratulations on completing the challenges!
aubrey on Spring Babies and Parenting Stefanie on Spring Babies and Parenting Nicola on Spring Babies and Parenting Arti on Yasujiro Ozu and The Art of sk on Yasujiro Ozu and The Art of lameadventures on Spring Babies and Parenting Arti on Spring Babies and Parenting Arti on Spring Babies louisville ky hotel and Parenting whisperinggums louisville ky hotel on Spring louisville ky hotel Babies and Parenting lameadventures on Spring Babies and Parenting louisville ky hotel mdott922 on Spring Babies and Parenting Arti on Spring Babies and Parenting Arti on Spring Babies and Parenting Arti on Spring Babies and Parenting Arti on Spring Babies and Parenting
Art Blogging Book into film Books Books Into Films Calgary Canada Canadian children Christianity Colin Firth culture DVD Education entertainment family film Film Adaptation films Jane Austen life literature movies louisville ky hotel music parenting Photography quotes reading reviews technology thoughts travel louisville ky hotel TV Uncategorized writing Archives Select Month May 2013

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий